Charles--

Might I ask how the original Word material was brought into FrameMaker? That is, was it opened with File>Open and thus filtered in through FrameMaker's own mechanisms?

And was this all in the context of FrameMaker 7.2, or was an older version involved?

Some of our team will be facing the Word->Frame conversion soon, and when I shared your info with them, they asked.

--Thanks,
    Guy K. Haas
    Software Exegete in Silicon Valley

Beck, Charles wrote:
Hi again all, Just wanted to let you all know that I received several replies,
including one with the correct remedy. Thought it might be of general
interest to the rest of the group. The tip of the hat goes to Alan Houser who asked whether there was any
imported MS Word content in the file. Apparently, Word content can
include hidden control characters that can interfere with the Find
function. That was the case with our problem. Saving as MIF and then
reopening and saving as *.fm resolved the problem.
Chuck