Dear Edwin,

Pantone and CMYK are two completely different color (colour) schemes.

A printing press operator can either buy ink in a specific Pantone color
or mix the ink from an exact recipe of colors and proportions. People
use Pantone color when they need an exact color. Pantone colors are
designed for offset printing.

CMYK, which stands for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and blacK (or Key), also
known as "four-color process," is a system of printing rosettes
(overlaid dot patterns) in these four specific inks. People use CMYK for
photographs or when an approximate color is acceptable.

In your case, it sounds like the problem is the fact that you are
outputting to a color laser printer. Laser printers use CMYK toners, so
the color is only approximate. You did it right, the printer did the
best it could.

When you print to PDF, you use a printer driver, either a specific color
laser printer or a generic driver. These drivers use CMYK color as well,
so again, you are left with an approximation.

If you are printing something that requires exact color, such as Pantone
2627, the best approach--assuming there are funds available to pay for
it--is to have the project printed on an offset press. If you choose
offset printing, be sure to check with your printing company as to how
you should prepare your files for color separation, that is, which
elements print in black, which print in Pantone 2627, and so on.

If you don't have the money for an offset print job, you could
experiment by specifying different Pantone colors, to find one that
prints closely enough on your laser printer or PDF. If you can, borrow a
Pantone "color bridge" booklet, which shows each Pantone color beside a
CMYK approximation. Visit the Pantone website at http://www.pantone.com
and look around.

Bear in mind that Pantone system was designed for ink but laser printers
use toner, so the actual results will vary somewhat.

Best wishes!

Daniel Doornbos
Technical Writer
Promise Technology, Inc.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in or attached to this
email message is either proprietary and/or confidential information, or
information intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately
notify us by email and delete the original message from your
computer/server with confirmation to us that you have done so.  Thank
you.