From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:22 AM
To: framers@frameusers.com
Subject: OT: Syntax for if/then statement

All,

I am hoping the fellow writers on this list can provide some information
for this request. Another writer here at Jeppesen and I have always used
the following syntax for a conditional/causal statement: If <blah,
blah>, then <blah, blah>. We have a new editor that just joined who is
in the process of defining our styles and standards. Obviously, everyone
has an opinion about what is "right" and what is "wrong" in editing . .
.in many cases,  it's so subjective. That said, when we have our
editorial meetings about defining our styles and standards, you need to
be prepared with some factual support for a certain type of style or
standard - not just the emotional "because we've always done it this
way." Years ago, I had such a reference for writing if/then statements
this way - I don't remember which manual I referenced. Our new editor
wants to add the word "and" to such statements - if <blah, blah>, AND
then <blah, blah>. Both I and the other writer disagree with the editor
on this one - it should be just if/then - no "and." I have tried for the
life of me to find a documentation reference that would support this
syntax (something like Sun's Read Me First guide, etc), and although I
know I had one in the past, I can't find it now. Googling only leads me
to programming references - the thin thread here would be since we are
writing software documentation, if/then, would make sense, since that's
where the  if/then statement syntax was developed, but. . . .

Any and all references/advice would be much appreciated.

TIA,

TVB

Tammy Van Boening
Senior Technical Writer