Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 07:14:55 +0200
To: Martin Polley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Shlomo Perets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rename PDF, xrefs stop working (more)
Cc: Framers@FrameUsers.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Martin,

You wrote:

With some of the PDFs that I create, if I rename them, the
cross-references stop working, giving this error:

    The specified file <old file name> does not exist.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Is there a workaround?
(Other than "don't rename the file"...)

As I mentioned earlier, some of the older FrameMaker 5.x versions specify internal links with a file name target, in which case renaming the PDF causes bad links (even when the PDF is stand-alone, with no links pointing to it from other PDFs).

Upon further examination, I was able to reproduce the creation of PDF links which use a filename even though the link is internal in FrameMaker 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2, but only when "Save as PDF" was used. In the same tests, the problem was not encountered even once when printing books to a .ps file and then distilling to PDF.

Given this FrameMaker bug, we may have yet another reason to stick to the original PDF file names, yet another reason to print to .ps rather than Save as PDF, and yet another reason to test PDF links carefully...

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars