Murray Moore wrote:

> I can not delete the cause in the fm files that is the source
> of the phantom entries in my index, but I can hide the effect.
>
> In my index I have made the offending index entries
> conditional and hidden them.

I didn't really understand the initial problem, but whatever it was,
this isn't a solution -- or even an acceptable workaround. An index is a
generated file. When you update your book, your conditionalized entries
will be deleted and replaced with new, unconditionalized entries.

To modify your index, you need to modify the index markers from which
it's generated, not the generated output. I don't recall why you weren't
able to find or edit the problematic marker text, but Art's suggestion
of getting IXGen is a good one. Use it to generate an editable marker
list, find and fix your problem entries in that list, and then reapply
the list to your doc, replacing all the existing markers.

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs