You've gotten plenty of suggestions. I assume that,
presently, production of your catalog is being done in
a manner that is incompatible with a full database
publishing solution, otherwise the solution would be
obvious.

The FrameScript solution offered by Rick Quatro would
seem to be the simplest and best one offered so far.

But I propose two more alternate solutions:

A. Strip out the "embedded" pricing, and instead
create a separate pricing section in the catalog in
which the products are listed in order by their part
number. This new section could be easily and quickly
generated from a database just before printing.

B. There is a solution using UniMerge which would
preserve the existing catalog structure with embedded
pricing. To update the pricing, you'd perform the
following steps:

1. Produce a database extract containing the following
two character-delimited fields:

PartNum,Price.

2. In the existing FrameMaker catalog document,
replace the existing in-text price for each catalog
item with the following UniMerge command:

^[IF (PartNum = 123) ^Price ^[END]
where XYZ is the part number, and Price is the unit
price for that part number.

3. After completing step 2, you save the modified
FrameMaker catalog document in MIF format, creating a
UniMerge template.

4. Finally, you execute UniMerge on that template,
specifying as the data source the 2-field database
extract described in step 1. This action causes
UniMerge to merge the data from the database extract
into a MIF file output which preserves all the
formatting and content of the original MIF file, and
updates the price

UniMerge executes from the MS-DOS or UNIX command
line. It costs about $750 on Windoze platforms. It
doesn't run under the MAC OS.

Ultimately, it may be possible for you to use UniMerge
to generate the entire catalog, in which case you
could radically reduce both your production time and
production costs.

I've been using UniMerge to produce catalogs,
directories and other database-derived documents in
FrameMaker since 1994. The user manual and other aids
which come with the product are excellent.

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/danemory7224%40sbcglobal.net