If you want to maintain the vector quality, you should save your CAD files to EPS. If this can't be done directly from Solidworks, you should be able to get a printer driver that will generate the EPS file.
...scott

Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.
www.leximation.com
+1.415.485.1892

Gillian Flato wrote:
Bill,

The hardware tech writers at my company use Solidworks creations in
their Frame docs. They told me that they don't use the DXF file because
they are so large. Our engineers create them for 11 x 17 paper. They
always convert the DXF file to a high-res JPEG and then import to Frame
and scale it down. So yes, they lose the vector.

Thanks,

Gillian Flato