I have noted a related (well, not really, but sort of!) problem with using
side-head columns and table. In some of my documents, the table title uses
both the side-head and the text column (the table number is in the side-head
in these documents).

When I make the table width small, the table title refuses to stretch over
the side-head column and stays in the main text column only - left aligned.
The table itself also moves over (i.e., does not stay left-aligned with
the edge of the main text column).

I have to force larger table columns - if you pick *just* the right number
for the column widths (or add some columns), the table title snaps over the
side- head column like I want and the table position adjusts itself to the
left edge of the main text column!

I hope I am describing this properly ... I can create a small text document
to show it, but I think this list software does not allow attachments.

Rick Quatro wrote:
Hi Richard,

I think you are misdiagnosing the problem. Try this:

1) Insert a left-aligned table with a title in a text column. Make sure the table is narrower than the text column.

2) Set the table title to be left-aligned. Type text in the table title and you will see that if it is longer than the table width, it will extend beyond the right edge of the table. This does not happen if the title is center-aligned.

Design-considerations aside, this is clearly a bug.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com

Rhea Barron wrote:

Since my tables are generally narrower than the text column
they're in, this is a problem. I don't want the titles to be
wider than the tables.
I can't find any way to make the titles narrower when the
title paragraph tag is flush left. The minute I change the
title para tag to be centered, the text rect that contains
the table title changes to become exactly the width of the
table. But as luck would have it, I don't like centered
titles. I like flush left titles.

But you're getting flush left titles. "Flush left" means "starting at
the left margin of the text column." :-)

It sounds like you're centering these narrow tables within the column,
and then you want the titles to align with the left edge of the tables.
Sorry, FM doesn't work that way. The locations of the tables and their
titles are both in relation to the text column, frame, or underlying
page.

What puzzles me is that I've used FrameMaker for over 15
years and I don't remember ever having this problem before.
But now it occurs in even a brand-new generic FrameMaker file.

Maybe you've never tried to mix centered tables with non-centered titles
before. I never have. And, frankly, I never will -- it sounds like a bad
design idea to me. Why not rethink it? If you align your tables flush
left, or some fixed indent, like an inch, your problem goes away.

IMNSO, YMMV, HTH
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs