Your "snip" below deleted from my original post the
main reason I gave for why intentionally blank pages
should be unambiguously labeled. The snipped part was:

"The fact that, more and more, technical manuals are
being delivered as computer files, not professionally
printed and bound paper documents, increases the
likelihood of printing errors when users print out all
or part of a manual, and thus unambiguous
identification of blank pages becomes even more
important."

"In designing technical documentation, technical
writers have an obligation to consider the impact of
such things as printing and binding errors,
particularly when such errors could have
life-and-death consequences."
=============================
As the military has learned, some readers of technical
documentation are not at the bright end of the mental
continuum. Unless blank pages are unambiguously
labeled so that even a low-wattage brain will get the
message, the military has learned that some very
troubling outcomes occur.

The US military conducts, as a matter of course,
thorough reviews of snafus to identify the causes of
the foulups. Instances where poorly designed or
written tech manuals contributed to a snafu are
extremely common, and corrective actions are often
recommended, which result in changes in MIL specs,
and/or changes in the validation and verification
process for military tech manuals. The standardization
on the "THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK" solution
was found to be the least ambiguous way to identify
blank pages, because it allows a simple training
mantra, namely: "If you find a blank page in a manual
which does not contain the above statement, something
is probably wrong. Stop what you are doing, and seek
advice from your superior."

The fact is that the US military is the only true
laboratory where technical documentation is subjected
to extensive post-publication review to determine its
effectiveness in the real world. Findings resulting
from analyses of actual foul-ups lead to continuing
improvements in tech manual instructions. Those who
write manuals for non-military applications ought to
also take advantage of that laboratory.

--- "Combs, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/danemory7224%40sbcglobal.net