Ben,

The methodology that you are using "works" as long
as NONE of your content is EPS or PDF containing color.
That driver option does not do anything to content that
passes "through" the driver. EPS and PDF (which is
actually converted to the equivalent of EPS for output
PostScript streams) is not touched by the driver in
terms of this "black and white" option.

A more inclusive "fix" would be to not use the driver
option but to use the color conversion features of
Acrobat 7 Pro or Acrobat 8 Pro.

        - Dov