For the archives:

Finally found a solution going through the Acrobat Windows user to user forum. It eventuated that I was definitely not alone, and that there is the same or similar thing happening with some Acro Pro 8 installations (which all shut down within 10 seconds without warning).

Anyway, to close the loop, here is the link to the article which contained my fix (solutions 2 and 4 seemed to do the trick):

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331958.html>

John Pitt wrote:
Thought I'd finished with my Acrobat woes -- but ... wrong!

I upgraded my work XP Pro laptop and home PC from Acro 5 to 7.08 a couple of weeks ago. The home PC works fine now (thanks Fred!), but when I run Acro 7 on the laptop, all is OK until about one minute has passed. It then closes with no warning or other messages.

I have searched through the Acro user-to-user forum and the other Adobe KB articles and have gone through all the possible causes in "Troubleshoot system errors or freezes", but with no luck.

I suspect there is some link with system timing on the laptop, because when I ran with a different login at a different client site today, it died consistently within about 10 seconds!

Does anyone have any idea what is causing my problem and how to fix it?

Specs: Dell Inspiron 9400, 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, XP Pro with all updates, 2 GHz RAM, nvidia GEForce Go 7900 GS.

jjj

--
John Pitt, technical writer