Hi, Michael:

Like Klaus, I know a lot of FrameMaker, but not enough to solve this question. However, I do know that you are asking for something that InDesign does very easily.

Have you searched the archives at the Adobe.com FrameMaker user-to-user forums for "highlighting text" and similar terms? Also, the FrameUsers site soon will be searchable again. This task has been discussed in the past.