At 08:37 -0800 31/1/07, Frank Stearns wrote:

>I routinely use what I call a "reference" or "resource" file. It's not part of
>the printed book, but other files cross-reference to this file for various
>bits of info, such as version info, part #, etc.
>
>You could list your edition info for each chapter in such an external file,
>then in each chapter doc xref to this reference doc to pick up the appropriate
>info for the footer. If something changes, you simply make a content change in
>the ref doc and regen the book, rather than copying formats around.
>
>Doesn't take too much to set it up, and I always had more confidence in this
>approach rather than copying vars around because as you noted above, it's easy
>to break something by copying formats.

I was grunting my way through this when Frank's mail came in. You could
implement this idea with named reference flows, too, either located in an
external document, or on a reference page in each book document.

If you consider the latter option, beware of a FrameMaker 'gotcha' I hit
yesterday: if a text inset imports a named flow from one of its own reference
pages, the link to the reference flow breaks if you rename the file.

Grant Hogarth calls this a 'fugly': great word, although I have no idea what it
means - a manifestation of the Law of Unintended Consequences, maybe.

--
Steve