A couple things to check:

First, have you verified that no other tags are using the X: numbering
track? Having another tag using the same track involved will screw up
the numbering in no time.

Second, check the numbering properties for the files to make sure that
para numbering is set to increment... Could be either in the chapter
file or the book file...

Art