Further to my earlier reply:

A new option introduced in Acrobat/Reader 8.0 lets you disable the activation of article threads when you click with the Hand tool:

Edit > Preferences, General, Basic Tools, turn off the "Make Hand tool read articles" option.

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006
To: Jon Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Shlomo Perets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: prevent click zoom in acrobat and reader
Cc: Framers@FrameUsers.com

Jon,

You wrote:

One thing that drives me crazy about acrobat and reader is that I get so
many PDF files that zoom in whenever I click in the document window. It
also happens on my own docs that I create. Is there a way to prevent
this from happening? I looked in the acrobat 7.0 pro Help and it only
mentions the zoom toolbar. This occurs without even having the toolbar
open.

How do I prevent docs from zooming in when I click on them?

If you see the down-pointing arrow inside the hand cursor, then this is the Article feature. Very often "article threads" are present in PDFs as a result of default settings, and cause more problems than the limited benefits they may offer if defined correctly -- see http://www.microtype.com/Hmmms.html#0406 ("Help! Acrobat article threads!"). [ The limited functionality of articles in Acrobat was made even more limited in Acrobat/Reader 7 by the new preference of "Enable text selection for the Hand tool" ]

To prevent articles from being created in PDFs, turn off "Articles" in the Bookmarks tab in FrameMaker's PDF Setup dialog box.

If the article thread is already present in the PDF, you can delete using the Article tool in Acrobat.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars