Check out techinsurance.com. We've got both professional liability and business insurance through them and have been very happy with their service and price. If you check around, you'll get wildly differing quotes for supposedly the same coverage. From what I found, most insurance brokers don't really understand the varying types of "tech" that need to be insured, and often lump them all into the same (very pricey) category.

Good luck!

...scott

Pat Christenson wrote:
Are any of the independent contractors here carrying business insurance? It's been some time since I last checked on it but when I did, I found the cost to be very high and the coverage less than adequate. I was told at the time that very few companies would cover an independent contractor doing computer-related work (doc production) because they don't differentiate between for instance, someone setting up a payroll system who could do immense damage to a client and someone like me (setting up FrameMaker templates where it would be almost impossible to do large damage. When clients require insurance, I end up working through an agency but I'd prefer to be an IC.

Anyway, if anyone here is carrying it, I'd be interested to hear about your experience. Feel free to contact me offlist.

Thanks.

Pat Christenson