To address the initial problem:

The only repair I have found that works is to rebuild the files anchored
frames from the point at which the numbering is broken. To be extra sure,
rebuild them all.

Save a copy of your file, in the working file delete all anchored frames,
then with the working file and copy side by side, create a new anchored
frame for each in the copy. Use the copy only to get the graphic and text
for the title.

I've identified that it usually breaks when anchored frames containing
text frames with numbered content are copied and pasted. At some point,
FrameMaker gets confused as to which text frames to keep out of the
numbering flow and which to include.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les présentes avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systems d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrant.
Merci.