Hi Rick...

Grab the DITA App Pack and take a look at the EDD that is part of the DITA-Topic-FM structapp .. I think it will do pretty much what you want (although you may need to take it to additional levels).

   http://www.adobe.com/go/dita/

Cheers!

...scott

Rick Quatro wrote:
Hello Framers,

I need help with text formatting rules in an EDD. Basically, I am allowing nesting of ol and ul elements. I need rules that will allow a particular format to be called, depending on the nesting level. Here is an example of "flat" structure. The text in the element indicates the paragraph format used.

<ul>
 <li>bullet1</li>
<ul>

<ol>
 <li>number1</li>
<ol>

For nested ul elements, it is no problem. In theory, I can do the same thing with ol elements (although in practice I don't).

<ul>
 <li>bullet1</li>
 <ul>
   <li>bullet2</li>
   <ul>
     <li>bullet3</li>
     <ul>
       <li>bullet4</li>
     <ul>
   <ul>
 <ul>
<ul>

What I want to be able to do is this

<ul>
 <li>bullet1</li>
 <ol>
   <li>number2</li>
   <ul>
     <li>bullet3</li>
     <ol>
       <li>number4</li>
     <ol>
   <ul>
 <ol>
<ul>

or this

<ol>
 <li>number1</li>
 <ul>
   <li>bullet2</li>
   <ul>
     <li>bullet3</li>
     <ol>
       <li>number4</li>
     <ol>
   <ul>
 <ul>
<ol>

or any combination of nested ol and ul elements. I am having trouble devising the correct text formatting rules. Any help or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com