At 18:09 +0200 25/5/07, Mark Lawrence wrote:

>The reason I am being so hesitant to just go out and buy the software and
>subsribe to every training course available (other than cashflow) is that I am
>basically unsure whether Framemaker will do the job I want it to, hence I will
>try to describe what I need as follows in the hope that someone can advise me.

Mark: FrameMaker carries all the features you need for your work. The main
areas you would be interest in are text insets, user variables and conditional
text.

To answer your general question, 'Is this something that I can do better in
FrameMaker?', I would say that I know of *nothing* that cannot be done better
in FrameMaker than Word (with the exception of anything that requires Microsoft
tie-ins to back-office software).

Before you spend large amounts of money on training courses, I would strongly
recommend that you get a good book on FrameMaker and work through it, such as
this: <http://tinyurl.com/36v62c>.

The same outfit (Scriptorium Press) do reasonably-priced self-training courses
that are based on this book. I have no connection with them other than being a
satisfied user of their products.

This group will be well able to help you with any specific difficulties you
encounter. Also, I'm sending you off-list and article on variant documents in
FrameMaker, in case it is of use.

--
Steve [in Cornwall]