There's more info in the online help ( Text Formatting > Using
counters in autonumber formats) and manual, but briefly:

1. The M: identifies a numbering track, one of 54 the software
supports. Each is identified by an upper or lower case letter, or not
identified. Each track keep count of something separately than any
other track. Typically one would be used for Figures, one for Tables,
one for Headers, etc.

2. The empty bracket is a placeholder for a counter. Because it's
empty, it doesn't display the contents of the counter and it prevents
it from being reset to 0.

****
One thing you should check... in your example, IF the counter = 18 is
a Chapter number AND you're using a version of FM greater than 6, THEN
you should think about using the FM default counter for chapters,
<$chapnum> instead. <$chapnum> and <$volnum> appeared in version 6,
and are used to track chapter and volume numbers system-wide, by
variables, cross-refs and other objects.

Cheers,
Art