Actually, I can repeat the problem. Has nothing to do
with a missing FILE: port (for better or worse). Apparently
something else has changed in the interface between the
Distiller and the AdobePDF printer driver instance and the
system with Acrobat 8.1 (as opposed to Acrobat 8.0). In the
meantime, you should (famous last words) be able to simply
print to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance
from FrameMaker to achieve a similar objective.

I'll see what's going on here at Adobe.

        - Dov