I've considered this a bug in Frame for years. Here's what happening:

The paragraph format that formats the page number doesn't exist yet. The
name appears in the list, but you see an asterisk. Frame automatically
creates the format but for some reason doesn't actually save it to the
catalog.

The solution?

1 Go to the reference page.
2 Find the format that formats the page number.
3 Notice that it has an asterisk next to it's name int he Paragraph catalog.
4 Open the Paragraph Designer.
5 From that funny little list right under the paragraph name, select Create
New. You are prompted for the name and the name is already in the text box.
6 Click Create or what ever takes you forward (I'm doing this from memory)
7 Format the page number to what ever you want, clicking Update All.
8 Regenerate.

Should be fixed.

sharon

Sharon Burton