If you don't have the book file open, FrameMaker creates PDF links to the
PDF files named after the file (that is, it creates links to file_name.pdf
rather than to book_name.pdf).  This makes sense.  After all, FrameMaker has
no way of knowing which book the file belongs to if the book is not open.
I'm not sure what happens if you have two different books open that
reference the same file.