I'm not sure I'm getting a clear picture of what the desired end result
looks like. Are you saing that each page has a 2-line header with one
line presenting the chapter title and the second line presentinf the
title of the top-level section heading?

When you split a chapter into multiple files, you need to do some
kludging to get running header/footers to work properly, but at least
FrameMaker lets you set up section numbering in a straightforward
way if you use $chapnum. There are several approaches you can take
to picking up a chapter title that in a separate file without typing it
directly into the header. The most direct approach is to use a
cross-reference to the title of the chapter in the following headers,
but the disadvantage is that this x-ref becomes a hyperlink in a PDF
deliverable (not terrible, but a little strange). Or you can include an
"invisible" (small, white text) paragaph that contains an x-ref to the
chapter title in the body of the following files and include its tag in
the definition of the Running H/F variable you are using. Or you can
set the $volnum system variable (assuiming you're not using it already)
to the chapter title text string using the book-level numbering properties
dialog.

But if I have misunderstood your description, none of these may be
relevant to your situation...

Fred Ridder