Walter Hudson asked:> a key concern (ie, pain in the keester) is verifying the
hypertext links > in these docs before and after they get PDFed. (as per usual,
no one > seems to have the time since we are pretty overwhelmed with the >
volume of docs here...)> > Any tips on plug-ins, add-ons, standalone utilities
that can do these tasks?> 1. within Word files> 2. within Frame> 3. within PDFs
Are you talking about verification or validation? Tools can validate links(i.e.
make sure they are not dead), but AFAIK it takes an intelligententity to verify
that the link really goes to the right place.  Within FrameMaker, it's fairly
easy to validate cross-references (whichwill become links in the PDF you
produce from the book) by using Find/Change and searching for unresolved
cross-references. For hypertext
commands, you can use the Esc, v, h key sequence to validate all
hypertext commands in a document or across a book (see the help
topic Hypertext and View-Only Documents/Testing and troubleshooting
hypertext documents for more details).

Within a PDF file, you will need to use an external tool to validate links.
A few years back, the "standard" tool was called Ari's Link Checker,
which was bundled with a couple other useful PDF tools in a $99 package
from Dionysys.com. But it appears that Dionysus was acquired by another
company, who were in turn acquired by another company called ARTS.
And ARTS only offers Link Checker as a component of a suite of tools
called PDF Aerialist, which costs $499 per copy. That seems pretty
steep to me, but I guess it's up to you to determine how quickly the
time you save will cover the cost of the tool.

As to MS Word, a couple of minutes with Google returned a hit for
a freeware tool called Document Hyperlink Checker from AbleBits.com.
I have no idea how well it works, but the price makes it a low-risk
proposition.

Fred Ridder

Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE!
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007