Sarah O'Keefe wrote:

>We are noticing a similar problem related to autonumbering even without
>the MIF conversion you describe.
>
>For instance:
>
>1. Define a paragraph autonumber that includes an em space (\sm) and
>some text. (Note:\sm)
>2. Reopen the paragraph designer and change only the autonumber text
>(change "Note" to "Tip").
>Notice that the \sm turns into something weird and renders as a ?? in
>your document.
>
>There appears to be a problem with special characters that are inserted
>with a backslash (\).

The problem seems to be present in all text fields in dialog boxes
(variables, cross-references, pgf numbering, markers), with the
backslash sequences  for a non-breaking hyphen (\+) and special
spaces (\sm, \sn, \st, \s#) .

When the dialog box definition is updated, a question mark appear in
the document instead of the special character.

To fix the problem, you need to edit the text in the dialog box
(delete the box character and insert the backslash sequence again).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
Training, consulting & add-ons: FrameMaker, Structured FM and Acrobat