I also have had problem-FrameMaker files where the author at the home office in
Europe forgot to embed the images files before sending me the FM file.

The result was lost time and effort. And to make matters worse, they sometimes
sent me the image files themselves for me to embed, but the company uses
identical names for images files used in different books.

So when I placed images files in a directory common to a "family" of books, I
unknowingly overwrote previous image files that were totally different. This
was finally caught before final printing, but it was -- and still is -- a pain
in the butt.

And yes, I've tried to set them (the home office) straight with alternative
ways to name images file, but no luck yet.

Thus, large FM files with embedded images are best for my particular use.

-- Kenpo in Atlanta