Hi Folks

A few weeks ago, while testing Frame 8 and how it handled one of our
typical manuals, I noticed that some graphics imported by reference from
a network server were very slow to display on the page (note that this
slow display only occurs the first time the graphic is displayed;
thereafter it seems to go into memory and displays instantly).  To cut a
long story short, I eventually found that the main reason for this was
because our new antivirus software was scanning all files imported or
opened over the network.  Our IT people solved this problem by changing
the configuration of the antivirus software to not scan certain file types.

However, when I did some more testing to verify that they had indeed
fixed the problem, I noticed that (even with the problem fixed) Frame 8
took longer than Frame 6 to display the same eps graphic.  I created new
test files in Frame 6 and 8 and imported the same graphics into each
file in the same way (by reference from our illustrations database on
our network).  The Frame test files have 3 eps graphics, and one each of
tif, jpg, bmp and wmf.  Only the eps files take longer to display in
Frame 8 than Frame 6 - the other graphics take the same time in each
version (typically 1 second or less).

The delay in Frame 8 is most obvious when displaying the two eps files
that show part or all of a circuit board layout:  the 1.6MB eps
typically displays in 2 seconds in Frame 6, and in 7 seconds in Frame
8;  the 3.9MB eps typically displays in 4 seconds in Frame 6, and in 13
seconds in Frame 8.  I realise there is a lot of detail to display in
these eps files, but why does the same file take that much longer to
display in Frame 8 than in Frame 6?  I've run this test in both versions
at different times and have had consistent results.  For the record, the
third eps is a 740kB block diagram (mostly lines and some text) and
displays in both versions in about one second or less (although still
slightly slower in Frame 8 than 6).

Just to make it a bit more curious, I copied the same graphics from the
network into the same folder as the Frame test files and reimported them
from there.  They all displayed in 1 second or less in both Frame 6 and 8.

Anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening?  Does Frame 8 have
different filters for eps?

I'm running Windows XP on a Pentium 4 dual core 3GHz PC with 1GB RAM.
The eps files were exported from CorelDraw 10 with a low-res tif preview.

Cheers

Dave

--

Dave Reynolds                         Phone: (64) (3) 358 1029
Senior Technical Author               Fax: (64) (3) 359 4632
Tait Electronics Ltd                  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PO Box 1645
Christchurch
New Zealand

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.