At 05:07 -0700 30/5/08, Rene Stephenson wrote:

>Of course, I solicit "best practice" information from all parties on this
>list, so please don't hesitate to tell me where we're screwing up.  ;-)

I don't think you are, Rene, you've found what works for you and gone with it.
Folks are correct in principle in saying that a vector graphics format such as
.eps is preferable for line art, and that dumping to PDF and importing that
into FrameMaker can often avoid a lot of problems. However, a large
high-resolution TIFF scaled down on import may well give you the graphics
quality you require. The acid test is, as Richard Combs commented, to look at
the final PDF of a sample graphic under high magnification. As you mention
SnagIt, I would also say that TIFF is our preferred format for screen grabs.

I can echo the various reports about the poor quality of output from the
various filters that come with Visio from personal experience. In the past we
have had to resort to extensive retouching (in Illustrator) of Visio .eps and
.wmf files: typical problems included arcs and circles that had been
interpreted as multiple straight-line segments, objects moving their locations
and general lack of precision of placement, as if the format translation had
been done with insufficient mathematical precision. Some stuff coming out of
Visio was really bad, but the native Visio diagrams looked fine.

--
Steve