Interesting.

I'm a European user and the Smart Quotes section in my maker.ini looks like
this:

; Smart Quote Characters
; SmartQuotes \xd4\xd5\xd2\xd3 )  English curved quotes
; SmartQuotes \xe2\xd4\xe3\xd2 )  German-style quotes with base quotes
; SmartQuotes \xd5\xd5\xc7\xc8 )  French-style quotes using guillemets
; SmartQuotes \xd5\xd5\xd3\xd3 )  Swedish- and Finnish-style quotes
; SmartQuotes \xd4\xd5\xd2\xd3 )  Italian curved quotes
;
; English curved quotes:
SmartQuotes=''""

I don't remember changing anything in the maker.ini file, and the smart
quotes work for me. Anyway, it's good to know that it can be fixed, and that
you can even use "custom" quotes per language.

Thanks to Jeremy and Dr. Reng!

--
Yves Barbion
www.scripto.nu