I'll give my 2c as well. We were using Frame with WWP and having no end
of headaches with it. Builds were scriptable but not repeatable. It took
ages to build our online help system. Having had a look at our
documentation we realised that print was a secondary issue and that our
prime deliverable was online help. So we looked at help tools. We looked
at MIF2GO as a stopgap and although it would do the job better than WWP
we shied away from it as Frame really isn't a help authoring tool.

Flare was head of our list, but we also looked at XDK, XML utlities,
Robohelp and others. We opted to go with Flare in the end as being the
most forward looking of the tools. A year ago the PDF output from Flare
was flaky and via either Word or Frame. Now they've added PDF direct
from Flare and I have to say the templating and page layout system is
pretty good. Flare has issues, as do all tools. I think Flare has fewer
and they are being addressed and new functionality being added all the
time.

If your main deliverable is online help, I'd say stop beating yourself
up using a page layout tool to write help and switch to Flare. It does a
great job for help (we use it for HTML Help) and does a good job for PDF
output. If your main deliverable is print media, I'd stick with Frame
and look at using MIF2GO for online output.

Contact me offline if you want more info.

Rob