Jo,

You wrote:

>I'm converting a Frame file to PDF.  The file includes numerous links to
>other files, which I need to open in new windows.  In the past, I've
>used a document-level javascript (openinplace) in the pdf file to make
>all links open in new windows.  However this no longer works in Acrobat
>8, so I want to set this action in the Framemaker file.  (The
>alternative is to use an application-level javascript in the pdf - but I
>have no idea how to do that.)
>
>The hyperlink I'm currently using is "openpage ...."
>Is there a way to force this to open in a new window?

The openInPlace JavaScript indeed does not affect user preferences when run
from a document-level script, starting in Acrobat 8.

To use an application-level JavaScript, you need to place a .js file in a
custom Acrobat folder (in the end-user computer).
In the case of Acrobat 8, the folder to use is:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8\Acrobat\Javascripts
(the .js file is loaded when Acrobat is started; folder location is
different depending on the Acrobat version. It is probably easier to
provide end users with instructions on how to change the cross-file links
in new window preference)

Another option is to apply the JavaScript code (in Acrobat) as a page
action (eg a page action of page 1).
If the PDF may open at different pages through cross-file links, the page
action should be assigned to all pages (so that the "new window" behavior
is consistent).

When it comes to FM->PDF conversion, FrameMaker's openpage/openlink
hypertext markers are both identical to gotopage/gotolink.

[ My FrameMaker-to-Acrobat add-on has a function that controls the "new
window" property globally or individually, so that no additional actions /
JavaScripts are necessary after the PDF is created.
The "new window" property of cross-file links can also be set to apply to
web-based PDF files. See http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF10.html for
additional information and sample files. ]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers

"Improve Your FrameMaker Skills" live web-based training sessions