Nancy Allison wrote:
> I am working on a document that currently has both paragraph tags for
> callouts, and character tags.
>
> I can create callouts either by:
>
> --Creating a text box in the figure, entering text, and formatting it
> with a callout paragraph tag. I prefer this. Makes it easy to widen or
> narrow the callout text.
>
> --Using the Text tool to enter text, and formatting it with a character
> tag. If the text needs to be expanded or edited, all repositioning of
> text must be done manually. A pain.
>
> However, I could be missing something. How do you create your callouts,
> and why?

I used to use text boxes with single-cell tables containing para-tagged
text, for ease of borders/shading/spacing, fonts, etc.  But now that I
am writing with translation/localization in mind, I put only consecutive
numbers in those table cells and put the explanatory text below the
figure in a separate table or caption.  The translated text can grow or
shrink as much as necessary without messing up the callouts.

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"A man's screech should exceed his rasp, or what's a violin for?"

--another Rogers Original