Milan Davidovic wrote:

> I thought that a pilcrow appearing before the tag name in character
> catalog meant that the tag in question was used in a paragraph format,
> but I can't seem to make one appear there myself.

I'm certain that's not the case. I suspect Peter is correct -- someone
got clever, figured out how to enter a pilcrow in a dialog box (hex
code), and adopted this as a naming convention.

It actually is a pretty clever way to distinguish char formats used only
in autonumbers (if that's how it's being used) and not intended to be
applied manually by writers. It certainly makes it hard to apply the tag
using keyboard shortcuts -- no pilcrow key. :-) I assume these tags sort
to the bottom of the list (if not, then it's not so clever), so they're
out of the way of someone using the mouse.

In my templates, the char tags intended only for autonumbers and xrefs
all start with a z, which gets them out of the way at the bottom of the
list (and makes it easy to search for them). Not as flashy, but I don't
have to remember the hex code for a pilcrow. :-)

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.