Michael:

>> * IMPORTANT: while Enhance can be installed onto FrameMaker 8, it is
>> not supported. Users have reported application instability when
>> running Enhance on FM8.
>>
>> * Enhance 2.04 released. Now supports FrameMaker 7.0 and Windows XP.
>
> Most obvious from what you experience the plug-in Enhance has problems
> with non-ASCII characters, and those are treated differently in
> Unicode-FrameMaker.

The instability that I have experienced is that occasionally the Enhance
window will not launch or it dies.  As the content is stored in the FM
document, no harm is done.  The ASCII/ISO Latin/Unicode conversions are
probably a problem as you suggest, but there are many examples of the
same characters that were not converted.  Curiously, when these
characters are part of an xref format or variable, they are also
corrupted in the same way, suggesting that it is an FM8 problem, as you
cannot monkey with variables and xrefs from within Enhance.

Adobe support spotted the post and wrote suggesting I check my
SmartQuotes settings in maker.ini.  I have set the required quote
characters to

     SmartQuotes=‘’“”

instead of using the \x? notation.  Let's see if that works.  Very
sporadic so results might be weeks or months.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel: +61 3 9809 1229   Fax: (call phone first)
Mobile (cell): +61 412 461 558   Skype: hedley.finger
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfin...@handholding.com.au>