Whatever documentation you create is best saved on dedicated master or
reference pages in the files themselves, so there's no likelihood of
losing documentation that's in a separate file.

You can use the hyper-click (Ctrl+Alt) on cross-references to move
from one document in a book set to another. However, at least in FM 9,
x-refs on body, master, or reference pages only place the insertion
point at the cross-reference source on the same kind of page; that is,
hyper-clicking from an x-ref on a reference page in document 1 to an
x-ref source on a master a master page in document 2 will move the
cursor to document 2, but will only appear at the x-ref source on the
master page if document 2 is in master page view. I can't remember how
this worked in prior releases of FM, and I don't have any installed to
test this.

Text typed into tagged text frames (like Flow A) on master pages does
not appear on body pages, so it's safe to place documentation in these
frames.

Another approach is to create documentation annotations on dedicated
master pages, using text in untagged text frames on master pages,
embellished with callout lines, circles, and arrows, etc, all marked
with conditions, so users can hide the notations when they're not
needed.

HTH

Regards,

Peter