From: Art Campbell [mailto:art.campb...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:47 PM
To: Laurie Little
Cc: Framers list (E-mail)
Subject: Re: Frame vs Indesign vs alternatives??

Laurie,
I think you're overlooking the primary difference between the two
programs -- what they're designed to do.

* FM excels at long-document management, projects where most layout is
driven by a finite set of templates, and situations where
documentation is single-sourced to multiple output formats.

* InDesign is Adobe's Pagemaker replacement and is designed to work
better in an environment where many pages use, or require,
design-driven manual tweaking.

I've used both, and each has a place in a writer's toolbox, but the
most important consideration is the type of content and the
requirements of the end-user.

Art

Art Campbell
               art.campb...@gmail.com
                                                      No disclaimers apply.
                                                               DoD 358

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Laurie Little <llit...@words-tw.com> wrote:
> Thanks so much Peter, this kind of comparison is invaluable.
>
> So why would one choose one over the other when they can both handle user
documentation (apart from any need to convert to help)? Is it a case of:
> - "If you only have Indesign, it can do what you need, but if you have a
choice use Frame"
> or
> - "Use whichever GUI you're comfortable with or whichever (native)
platform you prefer"

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/art.campbell%40gmail.com