Are you using the "Adobe PDF" printer driver?

All printer drivers for physical printers are programmed with the maximum and
minimum page dimensions that the printer can physically handle. If you are
using the printer driver for a printer model that can only handle pages that
are 11.00" or less in length, you'll never succeed in creating a PDF that uses
the full length of an A4 page. (In fact, you may not be able to image all the
way to the top and bottom edges of an 11" page because the driver may be set up
for non-printing page margins that the printer imposes for paper handling
purposes.)

Because the Adobe PDF "printer" is virtual, it is not subject to physical paper
handling constraints and can image all the way to the edge of arbitrary sized
pages rather than just standard sheet sizes. The driver does ultimately have
maximum and minimum size limits, of course, but the page sizes range from very
small (think of small postage stamps) to *very* large (think murals).

-Fred Ridder