obair wrote:

> My boss is asking me to do some research to determine the "correct
form of
> legal notice for our patent and how it should be worded."
>
> He wants this notice to be added to all manuals/datasheets for our
relevant
> products.
>
> Can anyone direct me in any way?

I can't direct you to any authoritative sources, but the following
simple statement was approved by our legal dept., so it doesn't have to
be anything complicated:

"The accompanying product is protected by one or more U.S. and foreign
patents and/or pending patent applications held by Polycom, Inc."

I'm guessing that your company doesn't have a lawyer on staff, or your
boss wouldn't have asked you. But wasn't an attorney involved in
obtaining the patent? Someone your company has on retainer, perhaps, or
consults as needed? That would be a good source, and such a simple
question shouldn't involve much (if any) billable time.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.