Ken,

You wrote:

>... I'm still learning the in's and out's of Paintshop Pro X2, so that's
>another rocky road, but I think I successfully created a GIF file
>graphic with "no" background (it displays in Paintshop Pro with a
>checkered background) but only the red logo and black-lettered company name.
>
>But when I import it, the background is white. I'm trying to keep
>away from creating a GIF file with a 20% grey background because it's
>just my luck that it probably won't match the FrameMaker 20% grey cover.
>
>What to do? Please advise.

FrameMaker does not support transparency in bitmaps when producing
print/PDFs. The best workaround is probably to have a single consolidated
image for the entire cover, and include that in FrameMaker.

[ Somewhat related: I recently implemented support for color masking in
images which are placed in layers through hypertext markers with
FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers + Presentation Assistant -- see sample PDF
at http://www.microtype.com/showcase/PresentAsst/TransparentBgnd.pdf .
Support for image insertion through hypertext marker was added as a
workaround for another problem... FrameMaker places a solid white rectangle
underneath images in the PS/PDF it produces, which obscured items in PDF
layers. ]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Acrobat courses