For printed books the prevailing wisdom and studies show that serif font is
easier to read.  On the other hand, for display devices (electronic viewing)
the prevailing studies and wisdom say that non-serif font is easier for humans
to decode.  Look at the books on your shelf.  Check how many of these books
have arial or helvetica font for the body text.  The number should be few or
zero.  Now look at your copy machine user interface or your cell phone --these
devices normally do use helvetica, arial, or verdana (san-serif font).

Most tech docs tend to favor the printed media wisdom (serif font for body
text) and use non serif for headings because they stand out.  Aside from
following the the prevailing wisdom, this combination has always looked good to
me.

There have been numerous studies in Human Computer Interaction (long before
Google or Microsoft ever existed) they reveal that:
- Non serif fonts are easier read on display devices
- Using more than five typefaces (where color, weight, and italics all count as
a new typeface) for a particular display increases human processing time.

Art is right.  This topic can create a fair amount of pointless and lively
"bike-shed-phenomenon-like" discussion.  So, be prepared for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Avoid_Parkinson's_Bicycle_Shed_Effect

Reid