Fred,

I have a similar but not identical situation. (FM 9)  I have two
versions of the same product; one is cut down from the other.  There are
roughly 100 components to the large manual I inherited, which is a
reference guide. These are currently grouped into 7 sections.  The
smaller version of the document will use components from different
sections mixed together. All 100 pieces undergo revision about every 4
months.

What I'm thinking is that I should break out each component from its
section, and have 100 pieces that I can mix and match as needed.  About
90 pieces will be in the same position within both manuals, and in fact
the sections that contain these would remain unchanged.  My idea is to
include a nested book as an alternate section for my combined pieces
destined for the small guide, and exclude it when generating the large
manual.  I would have another book for the parallel section of the large
guide, and exclude it when generating the small manual.

Does this make sense?  I do have the separate versions of front matter
as you and Richard suggest.  I would appreciate any input.  I am still
in the planning stage.

Jack D