I regularly use Frame remotely from various platforms with decent results.
Application-wise it is pretty solid. Mostly, I use it over a local area network
or across two centrally located LANs with one switch between them.  How many
'hops' you have in between your desktop and remote machine, chapter size, how
fast you scroll through your book, can play a big factor as well.

I have used Frame 7 and 8 running on Windows and Frame 8 running on Solaris
(remote machine)
 by way of Windows Remote Desktop and rdesktop (Linux) (local or 'desktop'
machine)

The only thing I have noticed is that the copy or ctrl+C command does not
always buffer consistently between the remote and the desktop machine (Linux).
I would use this for instance if I have some source material on the desktop I
want to paste into my FrameMaker doc open on the remote machine.

I've also noticed that hex key codes don't work when trying to type special
characters using the number pad.  Normal shortcuts that use the qwerty
characters work seamlessly. This might work if you use Windows Remote Desktop
from a Windows machine rather than the rdesktop Linux variant.

If you have a good Network connection, which I do, that also helps things along.

The Solaris machine I use is a bit dated, and I use it mainly for doc build and
check in using FrameScript. But rdesktop-ing to it works as far as I have seen.

HTH

Reid