Hi Peter,

I am comparing component chapter files in a catalog with lots of data. We used
InDesign CS4. Although we don’t have a version of the catalog in FrameMaker for
direct comparison, experience tells me that the performance would be better in
any recent version of FrameMaker.

The fact that InDesign scripting is built in doesn’t affect my business; I make
money writing scripts, not selling scripting tools. Based on my experience,
InDesign scripting performance with JavaScript is poor compared to
FrameScript/FrameMaker performance, particularly for more complex tasks. When
you using automation, the cost for a third-party tool can be recovered quickly
if there are significant gains in performance.

This is not to say that I don’t like InDesign; it is a great tool with many
nice features. But I would be cautious about moving to InDesign from FrameMaker
unless there is a compelling reason for doing so.

Rick Quatro

Carmen Publishing Inc.

585-659-8267

r...@frameexpert.com