I want to be able to have a sequence of numbers inline in a sentence, so I
think I need the ability to apply a numbering format to a character using a
character tag.

What I want:

Step 1, part 1: Blah

content

Step 1, part 2: Blah

content

Step 2, part 1: Blah

content

I have several such entries, and I need to change the numbering from time to
time as the document changes.

Instead of doing all of this by hand, is there a way to create a character tag
that I could use to automatically generate a "1", then, in the next place where
I have a new Step, create a character tag that I could use to automatically
generate a "2", etc, and update itself in the sequence, the way that I can with
paragraph tags?

Thanks.

best,
Paul