On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Harding, Dan wrote:

> This may seem like an oddball request, but as part of our review
> process, it has been requested that there be a way to print the
> location (and possibly the content) of the index markers within the
> chapter text. That way, as reviewers are working their way through
> chapters, they can see at a glance whether or not a word or phrase
> is indexed.
>
> Due to the nature of our review process this must be on paper; an
> electronic solution is not viable.
>
> Being able to print the actual contents of the index marker at its
> location would be pure bonus (similar to the way MS Word allows you
> to print hidden text at a location within braces), but barring that,
> a simple visual representation of the index marker at its location
> would suffice.

Hi Dan -

Check out the "expand markers" function in the IXgen demo you just
ordered.

Marker text will be elevated into the main body text flow, with a
character tag applied to it. You can change the particulars of
that character tag to best suite your visual needs (color, size,
weight, etc -- just don't rename the tag).

Do note that lifting marker text into the main body text will
temporarily change the pagination of your document, but I assume
that's not an issue for a marker review copy.

When done, you can use the IXgen "collapse markers" function to
return the marker text to their source markers; your pagination will
return to what it was before (assuming you've not made changes to the
body text.)

While the marker text is exposed, you can make edits to it, though for
the majority of marker editing tasks, the Editable Marker List is
used. (Your choice; IXgen just provides more than one way to do some
things.)

Often Expand Markers is used if you are doing a find/change in the
body text and also want to pick up any occurrences in markers.

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
fra...@fsatools.com <mailto:fra...@fsatools.com>
TOLL FREE Voice (USA and Canada):  800-567-6421
USA Voice: 360-892-3970  USA FAX: 360-253-1498
http://www.fsatools.com