Recently I upgraded from Frame 6 to Frame 9. I am having a lot of problems,
both mental and physical, working with a gray screen. The icons and text
seem to fade into the screen. The document is in full living color, but the
background (toolbar, pods, menu bar, status bar, etc.) are all in dull,
drab, depressing gray. I'd like to change it to normal windows
configuration. But how to do that is a mystery to me.

The colors can be changed manually, but not as a preferences setting. I haven't tried this, but you might want to check out Klause Daube's site: http://www.daube.ch/docu/fmaker55.html. He has created a plugin that does changes the colors (Enhanced Toolbar 9). It builds on Shlomo Perets' plugin (FM ToolbarPlus Express) (http://www.microtype.com/ToolbarPlus.html). I do use Shlomo's plugin. It's very useful.

Mike Wickham