Hmmm ... I am not familiar with the Rubi functionality at all. I will do some
reading on it - it appears to be something new in FrameMaker 9, I guess since I
don't remember it in earlier versions at all.

Thanks much for the response!

From: mkopen [mailto:mko...@transversant.ca]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 11:21 AM
To: framers@lists.frameusers.com
Cc: Syed Zaeem Hosain (syed.hos...@aeris.net)
Subject: Re: recurring decimals (1 FM8 file attached)

Syed,

you wrote

That method actually worked very well in certain places in my document, but I
have a problem with it in a few others.
In some cases, the dot needs to be above the number, but the very next
character is either another number or a letter. For example (contrived but
real samples here):
    19.1345...
Where a dot needs to be above _both_ the "1" and the "5", or:
    10.999Z
Where the dot is above the final "9" that is just before the "Z". I actually
have three places in this document where I need this constructed example,
believe it or not!
Anyway, I don't seem to be able to eliminate the space _after_ that digit with
the dot using the method you describe unless I am overlooking something simple?
The first example above shows as "19.1 345 " i.e., a space after the 1 and the
5 - the digits that have the dots, and the second example shows as "10.999 Z".
BTW, with a little bit of experimentation, I was able to change the font of
the number in the equation to match the other test, so that worked our pretty
well (not perfect spacing - particularly after the number with the dot - but
usable).
<

I have similar problems positioning diacritics in Canadian Aboriginal
languages. I use the Rubi ((Special->Rubi)functionality to enter the
diacritics required, and then I move them into place using the alt-arrow
method described. The advantage is that Frame treats the combination as a
single letter. - Might not work for some of the placements you need, though.
Cheers,
Mike

London   Canada