Jack,

You wrote:

... I am struggling with links across PDF files. They all work in Windows,
but some work and some don't under Red Hat Enterprise 4 Linux . ...

If the links all work as expected in Windows, the first thing to check is the consistency of case in file names.
This is not an issue in Windows, but file names in Linux are case-sensitive.

Other than inconsistency between the case use in the hypertext marker vs. the file name as exists in the OS (which would not be a problem under Windows), I encountered situations in the past where problems were related to the case of the file names being changed in the process of the file transfer (but file names as present internally in FrameMaker's hypertext markers were not affected).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting

"32 easy ways to improve your PDFs with FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants",
http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF.html