One quick note...

The EDD/DTD, many of the XSL tools for output (to PDF/HTML/Help) and training
on using the tools (Frame) for DITA are mostly done.
There is an EDD and a default environment included in FrameMaker (and a lot of
other DITA specific tools) already. The XSL is
included for most outputs in the toolkit, but you likely have to tweak it.
WebWorks supports DITA as a source to create
PDF/HTML/Help using a lot of ideas you already have in your Frame or Word
workflows. So does Mif2go, so does Robohelp. Some support
is already in place. Training is widely available and I've mentioned in other
postings (I think) that you can even try out the book
I have for free by downloading the first five chapters from my site.

I would agree on your points overall though. As tools continue to develop I
think the overall workflow will get easier. Since I can
work with the DITA "stuff" that Adobe includes I can do a demo for a client in
days or less, not weeks. I can convert large volumes
in weeks, or months, not months or years. However, mapping current styles, and
the update of content to meet the new bucket system
is part of the process and THAT is where I think the effort should be.
Especially the part that teaches the new buckets. That's
where the return can come from as well.

The other problem with tools like Dreamweaver/FrontPage (opinion) was the
masses who then felt "oh, I can create a webpage, it's
easy" and decided to do so. There is a lot of sloppy code still out there and a
lot of overhead in tools like IE, Firefox, Chrome,
and others to deal with that.

Every system has good/bad, and each will have people who argue for/against
them. I think the best bet is to get as much background
as you can, evaluate options, ask for free stuff (demo, trial versions) and see
what does or does not work.

As this is on the Framers list I think most of us agree that Frame is a better
tool for tech comm than Word, but I think that we can
also generally agree that, if it is used well, with best practices, Word can do
a decent amount of things. It's a matter of
education, experience, best practice, workflow, and overall management of all
the content you need to work with. Put it all together
and you can have a decent system. The same with/without DITA/structure. It may
or may not work for all, but if you do plan to use
it, do the homework and use it correctly.

Hope that helps. Boy, this has been a good discussion on an interesting topic.

Bernard